As we age, our immune systems weaken and we become more susceptible to illness, the common cold and allergies. While the coming months promise warmer temperatures, sunshine, and outdoor activities, the freshly blooming flowers and grasses also promise many of our Los Gatos home care clients itchy eyes, constant sneezing, stuffy noses, and general discomfort. Here, Home Care Assistance Los Gatos shares 5 ways to reduce the effects of allergies:
1) Allergen-Proof Your Home. There are 3 main allergens in the home: dust mites, pet dander and mold. The answer to keeping them at bay? Clean! Be sure to regularly dust furniture, wash your linens in hot water, vacuum daily and try to keep bathing areas dry. If mold persists, try adding a dehumidifier to your home.
2) Clean Out the Closet. Believe it or not, synthetic fabrics rub against one another creating electrical charges, which attract pollen. Natural fibers such as cotton breathe better, so they stay drier making them less hospitable to moisture-loving mold and pollen.
3) Shower Power. Shower off after gardening and/or wear a pollen mask to keep allergies at bay.
4) Raise Your Glass. EGCG, the abundant antioxidant compound in green tea, may help reduce your body’s immune response to many allergens. Enjoy two or three cups a day of green tea to bolster the body’s defenses against pollen, pet dander and dust.
5) Promote Calm. According to Dr. Tina Sindwani, professor of medicine at the University of California San Francisco, stress promotes inflammation and increases levels of cortisol, both of which amplify allergic responses. Reduce stress by participating in calming activities such as meditation, nature walks, or admiring art.
Our Los Gatos caregivers can help clients take these allergy preventive measures—they can assist with light housekeeping, laundry, gardening, healthy meal preparation and calming activities. Trained in our proprietary Balanced Care Method, our caregivers promote healthy mind, body and spirit.